Imperial Capital recruits candidates year-round in both Los Angeles and New York for our Institutional Research Associate program. Our program admits both lateral- and entry-level candidates depending on the hiring season and our current needs. The Research Associate's primary responsibility is to assist Senior Analysts providing research coverage on the entire capital structure.
- Provide support to Senior Analysts through fundamental analysis
and investment recommendations on high yield, distressed debt and special
situation securities with an emphasis on original, bottom-up research.
- Lead all aspects of the building financial and valuation models,
including but not limited to: researching efficacy of quantitative factors;
investigating and correcting issues related to data integrity; assisting
on data integration projects; investigating different factor weighting
schemes; developing multivariate factor models; and writing research
- Conduct primary research through industry sources including, but
not limited to, financial analysis, due diligence on industry trends,
company managements and strategies.
- Build and update financial and valuation models that synthesize
and assess financial and industry data.
- Write comprehensive research reports and present findings; draft
reports/notes on relevant investment themes, events, and breaking news.
- Respond to client and internal inquiries regarding research findings
- Manage ad-hoc projects as assigned.
Skills & Qualifications
- Ability to effectively communicate with outside clients as well
as with the organization's sales force to both understand the requests
coming in to the group as well as to be able to cogently explain the
research that the group conducted.
- Possess demonstrated industry specialized securities analysis experience
and a network of related industry contacts.
- Ability to conduct analysis of financial projections and impact
of financing, transaction and operational variables through preparation
of valuation models; solid financial modeling skills.
- Superior writing skills.
- Ability to thrive in a fast-paced, deadline-driven environment with
a proven commitment to turning in consistently high-quality work as
- High level of integrity, energy and flexibility with a positive,
team-oriented "can-do" attitude.
- Experience with fixed income and with issues that often arise in
high yield and distressed debt.
- Strong interpersonal relationships skills are critical. Must have
solid communication skills and a personal style conducive to building
- Strong teamwork orientation, unquestionable honesty and integrity,
intellectual curiosity and dedication to providing the best products
Education & Experience
- Bachelor's Degree is required.
- MBA or Masters Degree in accounting, finance or economics
- Background in accounting or legal is a plus.
- CFA and/or CPA designation is a plus.
- 1-2 years of experience working directly on conducting research
covering multiple industries on the sell-side or as a buy-side generalist.
If you feel you have the qualifications and experience to fill the Institutional Research Associate position, please submit your resume and cover letter via the Imperial Capital Online Application portal. Principals only, and please, no phone calls. We regret we will not
be able to respond to inquiries regarding your submission. The job description for
this employment opportunity is not all inclusive, and Imperial Capital reserves the
right to change or modify job duties at anytime.